October is Reno Month in British Columbia
October 5, 2017. Vancouver, British Columbia - The Canadian Home Builders’ Association of British Columbia (CHBA BC) is holding its Reno Month this October to promote smart renovations.
“The purpose of Reno Month to bring attention to what homeowners should know before beginning a renovation, rather than after,” says CHBA BC CEO Neil Moody. “Your home is likely your biggest investment. Allowing sufficient time and proper planning will ensure you accomplish your project goals.”
To find a renovator, visit www.renomonth.ca
CHBA BC’s Top 10 Tips for Renovations
- Plan out your vision of what you want to achieve. What are your must-haves for this project?
- Determine what you would like to spend, saving room for unexpected costs.
- Receive multiple quotes from different renovators in your area.
- Confirm your renovator carries proper insurance and is up to date with WorkSafe BC.
- Determine what warranty you will have for the project, and for how long.
- Ask for at least three references from your potential renovator.
- Get everything in writing and refuse to pay in cash. A verbal assurance is not enough.
- Verify that all of the required permits have been obtained.
- Stay in touch with your renovator throughout the project. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- 10. Pay your renovator on time. Hold back the agreed amount for builders’ liens during the holdback period.