Skip to content

Municipal Fee Comparison

The Canadian Home Builders' Association of BC has created a database of key fees charged on new housing projects in various municipalities across the province.

Four major fees – building/development permit fee, subdivision fee, zoning fee, and development cost charges – were collected for municipalities across the province. Where applicable, school site development charges were also listed as this fee does not apply in every municipality. The fees were calculated using the same model of a 2,500-square foot house, where re-zoning would be required for a subdivided lot.

Use the interactive data sheet below to view and compare the fees in your nearest municipality.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list of all fees for new housing projects, and is intended to illustrate the estimates of common fees across the province using the same scenario. There are other fees - such as design, plumbing, sewage, inspection, compliance, community amenity contributions, administration fees and others - that are project-specific and have not been included. Please refer to the local bylaws in your nearest municipality for a larger and specific list of fees on new housing projects. 

To reset the search, click the "reset" button at the bottom left corner of the interactive comparison below.


The Canadian Home Builders' Association of BC would like to thank Landcor Data Corporation for the assistance with building this online fee comparison.


Having trouble viewing the comparison? Use this link.



Building/development permit fees: Building permits are required for new construction and renovation projects in municipalities. The approved permits are connected to inspections, and ensure the work that was approved in the permit is completed. 

Subdivision fee: Subdivision permits can be for large parcels of land with multiple lots, or as simple as dividing one lot into two. All subdivisions have to be approved to ensure minimum lot sizes, street design or other considerations. 

Zoning fee: Areas within a city are "zoned" for various purposes such as residential, commercial, or industrial. Municipalities have various zoning bylaws that dictate how a property can be re-zoned from one zone to another, such as to add more density to an area.

Development cost charges:  DCCs are monies collected by municipalities to service the needs of new development such as roads, drainage, sewage, water and parkland. 

School site development charges: This charge is in place in some municipalities to fund the purchase of new school sites and accomodate future growth. 

This data is accurate as of January 2017.